Armed attack near the White House! Secret Service kills 21-year-old assailant

Armed attack near the White House! Secret Service kills 21-year-old assailant

24.05.2026 07:30

A gunfire panic occurred near the White House while US President Donald Trump was inside. 21-year-old Nasire Best, who reportedly opened fire on security forces, was killed after Secret Service agents returned fire. One civilian was injured during the incident. A security alarm was issued in the area for about 40 minutes following the gunshots. It was revealed that the attacker had previously made threatening posts against Trump.

An armed attack near the White House in Washington, the capital of the USA, caused panic. In the incident that took place on Saturday evening, the assailant, who was reported to have opened fire on security forces, was shot and killed by Secret Service teams. It was announced that a civilian was also injured during the clash.

IDENTITY OF THE ASSAILANT REVEALED

According to reports in the US press, the assailant was identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best. CNN reported that Best had previously experienced issues with security forces around the White House on several occasions.

It was stated that in June 2025, Best blocked one of the entrance roads near the White House, declared himself "God," and was subsequently taken into custody for psychiatric evaluation. A month later, he was reportedly arrested again for attempting to approach a White House vehicle entrance. It was noted that the court later issued an order prohibiting Best from approaching the White House area.

Authorities also announced that Best's social media accounts contained posts where he described himself as the "real Osama Bin Laden" and expressed a desire to harm Donald Trump. However, it was stated that the assailant had no prior history of armed violence.

White House vicinity security incident

WHITE HOUSE LOCKED DOWN AFTER GUNSHOTS

It was announced that the incident occurred around 6:00 PM local time near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW. The area was reported to be approximately one block from the White House.

Journalists stationed at the White House complex reported hearing successive gunshots and were then directed to the press room by the Secret Service. Some eyewitnesses said they heard between 15 and 30 gunshots.

Following the events, a security alarm was issued at the White House complex for about 40 minutes, and the area was temporarily quarantined.

SECRET SERVICE: ASSAILANT WAS ENGAGED

In a statement made by the Secret Service, it was stated that the assailant opened fire on officers at the security checkpoint, and teams returned fire in response.

The statement said, "Secret Service police officers returned fire. The suspect was shot and died at the hospital where he was taken."

Regarding the civilian injured during the clash, no details were shared by official authorities.

White House security operation

MOMENT OF INCIDENT ON CAMERA

The attack began while ABC News reporter Selina Wang was filming in front of the White House, and it was captured on camera. In the footage shared on social media, Wang was seen ducking to the ground upon hearing the gunshots.

The footage, viewed millions of times in a short period, revealed the magnitude of the event.

TRUMP WAS AT THE WHITE HOUSE DURING THE INCIDENT

It was learned that US President Donald Trump was at the White House during the attack. No statement was made by Trump following the incident.

Meanwhile, it was noted that White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, and Vice President JD Vance had left the White House shortly before the incident.

White House security perimeter

FBI JOINS INVESTIGATION

In addition to Secret Service teams, the FBI and Washington Metropolitan Police were also dispatched to the scene. FBI Director Kash Patel announced that the agency is supporting the investigation.

Authorities requested citizens to stay away from the White House area, and it was reported that a comprehensive investigation into the incident is ongoing.

RECENT INCREASE IN SECURITY CONCERNS

The attack came after a reported assassination attempt against Donald Trump last month, drawing attention.

Additionally, earlier this month, in another armed incident near the Washington Monument, Secret Service teams shot a suspect, and it was announced that a young civilian was injured during the event.

In order to provide you with a better service, we position cookies on our site. Your personal data is collected and processed within the scope of KVKK and GDPR. For detailed information, you can review our Data Policy / Disclosure Text. By using our site, you agree to our use of cookies.', '