Does the base that Israel struck 8 times have Turkish soldiers? Syria has announced.

Does the base that Israel struck 8 times have Turkish soldiers? Syria has announced.

20.08.2026 09:00

Following Israel's attack on the Abu Zuhur Air Base in northern Syria, the Damascus administration responded to claims of a "Turkish base." Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani stated that Turkish military officials had visited the facility only within the scope of training and military cooperation, adding, "There was no intention to establish a Turkish base there, create a permanent Turkish military presence, or deploy Turkish forces."

While Israel's airstrike on the Abu Zuhur Air Base in northern Syria raised tensions in the region, a statement came from the Syrian front regarding the attack. Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani stated that, contrary to Israel's claims, there are no plans to establish a Turkish base in the region.

STATEMENT FROM DAMASCUS ADMINISTRATION ON 'TURKISH BASE'

Speaking to Axios following Israel's operation on the Abu Zuhur base east of Idlib, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said they have clearly communicated to the Israeli side that the facility is designed entirely for the use of the Syrian Air Force. Stating that Turkish military officials visited the base only within the framework of training and military cooperation, al-Shaibani noted that the facility is largely empty and has not yet become fully operational. Al-Shaibani emphasized that there are no Turkish soldiers at the base and used the following expressions:

"There was no intention to establish a Turkish base there, create a permanent Turkish military presence, or deploy Turkish forces"

ARROGANT OUTBURST FROM NETANYAHU

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, speaking on the claims at the center of the attack, argued that, contrary to Damascus's statements, they had warned Syria before the operation not to allow a Turkish presence at the said base. Netanyahu evaluated the justification for the bombardment with these words:

"Our message was very clear. Do not allow it. I think they did not fully understand the message"

"THERE IS NO LEGITIMATE JUSTIFICATION FOR THE ATTACK"

Syrian Minister al-Shaibani, who described Israel's bombardment as "lacking legitimate justification," stated that the Damascus administration is not closed to negotiations in order to reduce tensions.

It was recalled that significant progress had been made on a security agreement during talks mediated by the US in the past that lasted a year. However, it was stated that the process stalled because Israel backed away from its commitments and failed to implement the compromise.

Al-Shaibani noted that Israel's military operations fuel regional instability, emphasizing that any potential new agreement must address the security concerns of both sides and respect Syria's sovereignty.

REACTIONS FROM AROUND THE WORLD TOWARD ISRAEL

The attack carried out by Israeli warplanes yesterday on the Abu Zuhur Military Airport in Syria resonated widely in international public opinion on the grounds that it violated Syria's sovereignty.

In its statement, the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs condemned the airstrike carried out by the Israeli army on the Abu Zuhur Military Airport located east of Idlib, stating that the attack was a clear violation of Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity.

In the statement, which noted that Israel's attacks on Syria have continued since December 8, 2024, it was expressed that the Syrian government is pursuing a policy of restraint, trying to consolidate stability and prevent escalation.

Different countries around the world also made statements regarding Israel's attack on Syria.

TÜRKİYE

In its written statement, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs "strongly" condemned the attacks carried out by Israel on the abandoned Abu Zuhur Military Airport located east of Idlib province in northern Syria.

In the statement, which emphasized that Israel's attacks targeting Syria's infrastructure and capabilities and violating its territorial integrity and unity continue recklessly, "We call on the international community to display a more determined stance to put an end to Israel's aggression against Syria, which gains a new dimension every passing day, and to ensure accountability in the face of these acts that defy international law."

JORDAN

In a written statement from the Jordanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, it was stated that Israel's attack on the Abu Zuhur Military Airport was a violation of Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity.

In the statement condemning Israel's "unjustified hostile attack," it was emphasized that this is contrary to international law, and it was stated that Israel's attacks targeting Syria's security and stability must come to an end.

QATAR

In a written statement from the Qatari Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Israel's attack on Idlib was also condemned, noting that these attacks are a clear violation of Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity, international law, and United Nations Charters.

It was underscored that Israel's continued impunity in violating the sovereignty of regional countries reveals its approach of imposing its own plans through force and disregarding international legitimacy.

KUWAIT

In a written statement made by the Kuwaiti Ministry of Foreign Affairs, it was stated that the said Israeli attack violated Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity and undermined the security of the region.

In Kuwait's call to the international community, it was requested to do its part to stop the Israeli army's repeated attacks on Syria.

SAUDI ARABIA

The Saudi Arabian Ministry of Foreign Affairs also stated in its written statement that it condemns the Israeli attack "in the strongest terms."

In the statement, it was expressed that the attack on the Abu Zuhur Military Airport in Idlib city is a clear violation of international law and the sovereignty of the Syrian state.

It was also stated in the statement that Saudi Arabia "rejects this heinous attack" and calls on "the international community to act to end Israel's violations of international custom and law."

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

In a statement made by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Israel's airstrikes were condemned in the strongest terms.

In the statement, it was emphasized that the violation of Syria's sovereignty and the threat to its security and stability are completely rejected.

EGYPT

The Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs condemned Israel's attack on the Abu Zuhur Military Airport in Syria.

In a written statement from the Ministry, it was emphasized that Israel's said attacks constitute a clear violation of Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity and are also contrary to the rules of international law and United Nations Charters.

Underlining the rejection of Israel's continued violations against Syrian territory, it was warned that these attacks could lead to a dangerous escalation that could undermine stability efforts in the region and threaten regional security and peace.

UNITED NATIONS

Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for the United Nations (UN) Secretary-General, criticized Israel's airstrikes on Syria during his remarks at the daily press briefing held in New York.

Stating that this attack was a "worrying violation" of Syria's territorial integrity and airspace, Dujarric said, "This is another worrying violation of Syria's territorial integrity and airspace. These airstrikes must stop, and we are against them."

GULF COOPERATION COUNCIL

Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Secretary-General Jasem Mohamed Albudaiwi, in a written statement, strongly condemned the said attacks, stating that they constitute an unacceptable violation of Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity.

Albudaiwi, who invited the international community to assume its responsibilities and take a firm stance against these violations, called for efforts to stop Israel's attacks on Syrian territory in order to preserve the security and stability of Syrian lands.

ARAB LEAGUE

Arab League Secretary-General Nabil Fahmy, in a statement on his account on the US-based social media platform X, condemned Israel's attacks on Abu Zuhur Military Airport.

Emphasizing that Israel's provocative and unjust attacks are in no way acceptable, Fahmy accused Israel of spreading chaos and expanding conflict zones.

Fahmy noted that the attacks serve the domestic political goals of the Israeli Prime Minister and stated that Israel is trying to gain political and electoral advantages at the expense of security and stability in the region.

PAKISTAN

In the statement by Pakistan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, it was stated that Pakistan strongly condemns these attacks, using the expression, "Such provocative actions are a clear violation of international law and have the potential to further undermine regional peace and stability."

In the statement, which emphasized Pakistan's solidarity with Syria and its support for the country's sovereignty and territorial integrity, an appeal was made to the international community to play its part in ending Israel's violations of international law and to hold that country accountable for its actions.

USA

The US Ambassador to Ankara and Special Representative for Syria and Iraq, Tom Barrack, in a statement on his account on the US-based social media platform X, reported that they are "deeply concerned" about Israel's attack on the abandoned Abu Zuhur Military Airport.

Emphasizing that his country will continue to host talks "as in the past" in the future to "encourage the continuation of the diplomatic process" rather than resorting to military methods for both countries, Barrack shared the view that "The (Syrian President Ahmed) Sharaa government has neither adopted an aggressive stance nor maintained proxy forces. On the contrary, it has repeatedly shown that it prefers de-escalation with Israel."

WHAT HAPPENED AT ABU ZUHUR AIR BASE?

Warplanes belonging to the Israeli army had targeted the abandoned Abu Zuhur Military Airport, located in the east of Idlib province in northern Syria. According to information obtained from sources in the region; Israeli jets carried out a total of 8 separate airstrikes on the facility. While it was noted that the main targets in the operation were the runways and an idle structure in the hangar, no official information was shared regarding whether there were any casualties or injuries in the incident.

In order to provide you with a better service, we position cookies on our site. Your personal data is collected and processed within the scope of KVKK and GDPR. For detailed information, you can review our Data Policy / Disclosure Text. By using our site, you agree to our use of cookies.', '