23.05.2026 22:50
The audio recording of a phone conversation made at the police station by Umut Altaş, who was subject to a red notice in the Gülistan Doku case and detained in the USA, has emerged. In the recording, Altaş said, "I want the relevant authorities of the Republic of Turkey to contact me. I am currently at a police station in America. They will send me back to Turkey. I have proof of everything. I will hand over the murderer to you."
The investigation to determine the fate of Gülistan Doku, a second-year student in the Child Development Department at Munzur University who has been missing since January 5, 2020 in Tunceli, continues.
AUDIO RECORDING OF UMUT ALTAŞ, DETAINED IN THE USA, EMERGES
A red notice was also issued via Interpol for the fugitive suspect Umut Altaş, who is in the USA. Altaş made a statement to a press organization for the first time in the morning, stating that he wants this incident to be resolved now. The audio recording of a phone call made by Altaş, who was captured and detained by US security forces at the police station, has emerged.
"I WILL HAND THE MURDERER OVER TO YOU"
In the said recording, Altaş said, "I will tell the prosecutor everything I know. The Republic of Turkey needs to reach me. I am Umut, I have everything to close the file. I want the relevant authorities of the Republic of Turkey to contact me. I am currently at a police station in America. They will send me back to Turkey. I have the proof of everything. I will hand the murderer over to you."
12 OUT OF 15 SUSPECTS WERE ARRESTED
Within the scope of the Gülistan Doku investigation, 12 of the 15 suspects previously detained were arrested, while judicial control decisions were made for 3 individuals. A red notice was issued via Interpol for the fugitive Umut Altaş.
"LET THIS INCIDENT BE RESOLVED NOW"
Umut Altaş made striking statements in an interview he gave before being detained. Alleging that Mustafa Türkay Sonel, the son of former Tunceli Governor Tuncay Sonel, confessed the murder to him, Altaş said, "I was naive back then. Türkay also left me a note indicating that he committed this murder. At the residence, he told me, 'She was screaming a lot, so I fired.' I even touched the murder weapon while in the vehicle. I want this incident to be resolved now."
"I HAVE TWO GUESSES ABOUT WHERE THE BODY IS BURIED"
Altaş also claimed that he thinks Gülistan Doku was killed on a viaduct and alleged that the body may have been moved. Stating that he does not know the exact location of the body, Altaş pointed to the Bayraktepe and Aktuluk neighborhood area and said he guesses it might have been buried there.
MINISTER GÜRLEK CALLED UMUT "THE PERSON WHO WILL SOLVE THE CASE"
Regarding the file, which was taken off the shelf 6 years after the statement "wherever it leads," Justice Minister Akın Gürlek said, "We think Umut Altaş is an important person, we request his extradition. We have also conveyed the sensitivity to the US authorities due to the importance of the matter. We await his extradition. I think Umut Altaş is the person who will solve the case, because he is the closest witness to the event. He fled abroad under suspicious circumstances. The investigation continues."