23.05.2026 14:21
Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu, who returned to the chairmanship of the CHP with a decision of absolute nullity, made a statement regarding Özgür Özel, who was elected as the CHP Group Chairperson. Kılıçdaroğlu said, "May his new role be auspicious."
Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu, who returned to the chairmanship of the CHP, made statements to journalists for the first time after the court's 'absolute nullity' decision.
Kılıçdaroğlu's first words were directed at Özgür Özel, who was elected CHP Group Chair. Kılıçdaroğlu said, 'There was a new development this morning. Congratulations on your new role, Mr. Özgür. Mr. Özgür was going to meet with me, but so far there has been no meeting. He said, 'I will call you after I consult with my friends,' perhaps this meeting will take place today. He needs to know one thing very well. The CHP is a well-established party. It is a party that founded the state. It is a party that guides the state. It must uphold its moral values.'
CHP LEADER ÖZEL REELECTED AS GROUP CHAIR WITH SUPPORT OF 110 MPS
Today, a closed group meeting was held under the chairmanship of Özgür Özel in the CHP. During the meeting, the 'group chair election' took place.
Özgür Özel was reelected as the CHP TBMM Group Chair with the votes of 95 out of 96 MPs who attended the closed group meeting.
One vote was deemed invalid. Fifteen MPs who could not attend the meeting due to illness, funerals, or being abroad also expressed their support for CHP leader Özel.
CHP sources stated that this election was held to 'renew confidence within the group.'
ABSOLUTE NULLITY CRISIS IN THE CHP
Following the 'absolute nullity' decision regarding the 38th Ordinary Congress in the CHP, internal party debates continue. The Ankara Regional Court of Appeal ruled for the cancellation of the CHP congress held on November 4-5, 2023, and after the decision, former Chairman Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu returned to office.
CONGRESS DECISIONS DEEMED INVALID
In line with the court's decision, it was stated that the ordinary and extraordinary congresses held after the said congress and the decisions taken have become invalid. With the decision, management debates in the CHP have once again come to the agenda.
DECISION NOTIFIED TO KILIÇDAROĞLU
The interim injunction decision of the 36th Civil Chamber of the Ankara Regional Court of Appeal was notified to Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu by enforcement officers. It was learned that the enforcement officers went to Kılıçdaroğlu's office and conveyed the decision.
CHP'S OBJECTION REJECTED
The Supreme Election Board rejected the CHP's objection to the 'absolute nullity' decision. The Ankara Regional Court of Appeal also did not accept the party management's application regarding the injunction decision.
ÖZGÜR ÖZEL AND KILIÇDAROĞLU SPOKE ON THE PHONE
Following the decision, Özgür Özel, who was temporarily removed from the CHP chairmanship, and Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu, who returned to duty, had a phone conversation. It was learned that during the conversation, Kılıçdaroğlu expressed the idea of taking the party to a new congress at an appropriate time.
In his statement after the conversation, Özgür Özel said, 'We want the ballot box as soon as possible, we want a congress.'
GÜRSEL TEKİN'S STATEMENT ON THE CONGRESS
Gürsel Tekin, who was appointed as a trustee to the CHP Istanbul Provincial Directorate and whose tenure ended with the recent court decision, also made assessments about the process. Tekin said that an extraordinary congress could be held within 7-8 months.