18.05.2026 13:50
Singer Umut Akyürek's daughter Melek Bal, who filmed a TikTok video at her grandfather's coffin, made a statement following the backlash. Saying she is not regretful, Bal stated, 'My grandfather would have preferred this over crying behind him. I am not regretful, and I don't care about anyone.' In her statement, Bal also promoted her upcoming song.
Melek Bal, the daughter of Umut Akyürek, became a trending topic on social media after posting a TikTok video at her grandfather's funeral. As reactions increased due to her behavior in the video, she made a statement from her social media account.
"I AM NOT SORRY"
Melek Bal, daughter of singers Umut Akyürek and Oktay Ertuğrul, said she is not sorry for filming a TikTok video by her grandfather's coffin.
ALSO PROMOTED HER SONG IN HER STATEMENT
Melek Bal said, "I loved my grandfather very much, and he loved me too. My grandfather had dementia in his final period. He started forgetting everything recently, but he was a very cheerful person. Everyone cried for my grandfather, maybe I cried the most. He would have preferred this over crying for him. How do you know I am not upset? There is also the shock of the event; I didn't know what I was doing at that moment. I am not sorry, and I don't care about anyone."
Announcing that her new song will be released on May 22, Melek Bal concluded, "It will be out on May 22. You can call it promotion. Life goes on."
HER MOTHER SAID "UNCONSCIOUS"
Umut Akyürek, a Turkish classical music artist who lost her father, made a statement on social media after the backlash over her daughter's TikTok video at the funeral.
The famous artist, who described her daughter Melek Bal's actions as 'unconsciousness,'—who had previously been in the news for her substance abuse treatment process—said, "Our pain is very fresh; we lost our father. Unfortunately, my daughter shot a highly unconscious and never acceptable video at our funeral. Grief is not shared like this in any culture. I do not approve of this either."
HARSH REACTION TO TIKTOK
Akyürek also harshly criticized the TikTok platform in her statement. "That sewer pit called TikTok continues to poison the youth. Society is being ruined for clicks and financial gain. Why isn't it banned?" said the artist, highlighting the impact of social media platforms on young people.
ALSO TARGETED HADISE AND GÜLŞEN
In a later statement, Umut Akyürek criticized figures like Hadise and Gülşen. Akyürek said, "I will criticize Hadise and similar popular culture figures until I die. It's because of those who perform in underwear, because of people like Gülşen, those who moan in the arms of five men and put on a disgrace under the name of art... This matter has gone off the rails and will continue to do so."
"I WOULD EVEN CHANGE MY LAST NAME IF NECESSARY"
Touching on her issues with her daughter, Akyürek said, "I am not defending my child. There is no shortage of fights and brawls in my house. I have reached the point of disowning my child; know that and relax. Are you going to hit me through my child? Go ahead. I would even change my last name if necessary. I will not back down from speaking the truth."