Haberler    English    العربية    Pусский    Kurdî    Türkçe Delivering News and Insights Around the World Keltis
  En.Haberler.Com - Latest News
SEARCH IN NEWS:
  HOME PAGE 23/05/2019 07:08 
16.07.2016 20:33 News >> Yemen Govt To Participate İn Kuwait-Hosted Peace Talks

Yemen Govt To Participate İn Kuwait-Hosted Peace Talks

By Zakaria al-Kamali


UN envoy to Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmad has persuaded a Yemeni government delegation to take part in the planned second round of Kuwait-hosted peace talks with the Shia Houthi group, due to start later Saturday, according to a government source.


President Abdu Rabbuh Hadi Mansour met with his negotiators on Saturday to discuss the outcomes of his talks with Ould Cheikh for resuming the peace talks with the Houthis, the source told Anadolu Agency.


"The delegation decided to participate in the negotiations," the source said anonymously due to restriction on speaking to media.


According to the source, the government delegation has already left Saudi capital Riyadh to Kuwait.


The government source said the new round of talks will focus on the Houthi withdrawal from cities, surrendering weapons and "arrangements for regaining state institutions".


The UN envoy has presented a paper that the talks "will not tackle the formation of the government at present," he said.


Yemen has been rocked by chaos since late 2014, when the Houthis and their allies overran capital Sanaa and other parts of the country, forcing Hadi and his Saudi-backed government to temporarily flee to Riyadh.


In March of last year, Saudi Arabia and its Arab allies launched a massive military campaign in Yemen aimed at reversing Houthi gains and restoring Hadi's embattled government.


Backed by Saudi-led airstrikes, pro-Hadi forces have since managed to reclaim large swathes of the country's south -- including provisional capital Aden -- but have failed to retake Sanaa and other strategic areas.


In April of this year, the Yemeni government and the Houthis entered into UN-sponsored peace talks in Kuwait aimed at resolving the conflict, in which more than 6,400 people have been killed and another 2.5 million forced to flee their homes.


The negotiations, which were suspended last month for a two-week period, have largely failed to produce any breakthroughs. -



        Latest News
Libya's Un-Recognized Gov't Head Urges Stopping War 6 minutes ago...
‘The blood of all Libyans are valuable to us,’ says Fayez al Sarraj.
General Election Vote Count Begins İn India -9 minutes ago...
Results expected later Thursday.
Corrects - Turkish Spox Slams US Former Adviser For Hate Speech 6 minutes ago...
Ibrahim Kalin condemns Steve Bannon for calling President Erdogan ‘most dangerous guy in the world’
Turkish Aide Slams US Former Advisor For Hate Speech -39 minutes ago...
Ibrahim Kalin condemns Steve Bannon for calling President Erdogan ‘most dangerous guy in the world’
Palestine Will Not Participate İn Manama's Workshop 6 minutes ago...
'In light of the decisions of the American administration we decided not to participate,' Saeb Erekat says.

 
      Top News
Libya's Un-Recognized Gov't Head Urges Stopping War Libya's Un-Recognized Gov't Head Urges Stopping War
Austria: Opinion Leaders Condemn Muslim Headscarf Ban Austria: Opinion Leaders Condemn Muslim Headscarf Ban
Uk, Oman Sign Partnership Agreement Uk, Oman Sign Partnership Agreement
Tunisia's Ennahda Warns Of 'Foreign Meddling' İn Polls Tunisia's Ennahda Warns Of 'Foreign Meddling' İn Polls
California Sues Trump Over Axed High-Speed Rail Grant California Sues Trump Over Axed High-Speed Rail Grant
Mosque İn Scotland Vandalized With Racist Graffiti Mosque İn Scotland Vandalized With Racist Graffiti
Nigerian Gov't Hits Back At Ex-Leader Over Boko Haram Nigerian Gov't Hits Back At Ex-Leader Over Boko Haram
Borussia Dortmund Sign Germany Left-Back Nico Schulz Borussia Dortmund Sign Germany Left-Back Nico Schulz
Update - Turkey: Arrest Warrants Out For Above 200 Feto Suspects Update - Turkey: Arrest Warrants Out For Above 200 Feto Suspects
N.Zealand Massacre Suspect Charged With Terror Offense N.Zealand Massacre Suspect Charged With Terror Offense