31.08.2025 17:33
A 32-hour water cut that started in İzmir at 9:00 PM yesterday and is being enforced in 8 districts has caused outrage among citizens. Residents went to the spring water fountain in the Yakakent neighborhood of Çiğli with their bottles and jugs, forming long queues. One citizen who went to get water said, "The people are very distressed. This is not acceptable. They need to find a solution."
After a 32-hour water cut that was enforced in 8 districts due to a malfunction in the supply line in İzmir, some citizens in the Çiğli district formed a queue at the fountain where spring water is available.
THEY WAITED IN THE SHADE OF THE TREES
Citizens arrived at the fountain with spring water in the Yakakent neighborhood with their bottles and jugs from the early hours of the morning. It was observed that citizens waiting for a long time at the water source were waiting in the shade of the trees to avoid the sun.
"THE PUBLIC IS VERY DISTRESSED"
70-year-old Cemal Bektaş, who came to get water, said that the water was cut off since 21:00 the previous evening. After learning that the water would be cut off for 2 days, Bektaş stated that he came to the fountain with spring water in the morning hours, saying, "The public is very distressed. If it were a 2 or 3-hour water cut, it wouldn't be a problem, but 2 days. This is not acceptable. They need to find a solution. I brought 15 5-liter jugs to fill with water."
"WE CAN'T GO TO THE TOILET, WE CAN'T EAT"
İsrafil Aslan stated that he had been waiting for an hour to fill water and that the queue was getting longer every hour. Aslan, who indicated that they were victimized due to the 32-hour water cut, said, "It's not a good thing. We can't go to the toilet, we can't drink, we can't eat." Senem Erol emphasized that a solution should be found for the water cuts as soon as possible and expressed her reaction.
32-HOUR WATER CUT IN 8 DISTRICTS
The General Directorate of İzmir Water and Sewerage Administration (İZSU) announced yesterday that a malfunction occurred in the supply line coming from the Yahşelli neighborhood in Menemen district, and therefore, between 21:00 on August 30 and 05:00 on September 1, a total of 32 hours of water would not be supplied to all of Çiğli, Karşıyaka, Bayraklı, Bornova, and Gaziemir districts, and to some neighborhoods of Karabağlar, Menemen, and Konak.