21.02.2026 00:10
Çeşme Mayor Lal Denizli, who gave a statement as part of the investigation conducted by the Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor's Office, denied all the allegations against him. Denizli, who was referred to the Forensic Medicine Institution at his own request, stated that the claims regarding drug use and various tenders do not reflect the truth. Denizli said, "I categorically deny that I have used drugs or that I have been in any place where drugs are used. I do not accept this slander directed at me."
Çeşme Mayor Lal Denizli gave a statement at the Istanbul Courthouse as part of the drug investigation conducted by the Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor's Office. After the prosecutor's procedures, Denizli was referred to the Forensic Medicine Institution (ATK) to provide hair and blood samples, and was released without the application of judicial control after all procedures were completed.
WHAT ALLEGATIONS WERE MADE?
The Chief Public Prosecutor's Office summoned Denizli for questioning on charges of "facilitating the use of narcotic or stimulant substances" and "purchasing, accepting, possessing, or using narcotic substances for personal use." Denizli, who was invited to give a statement on February 16, made his declaration to the prosecutor's office today.
RESPONSE TO VENUE ALLEGATIONS
Responding to questions about the venues named "Gizli Kalsın," "Easy," "Kütüphane," and "Sumahan," Denizli stated that he only knew the places "Gizli Kalsın" and "Kütüphane."
Denizli, who said, "I went to Gizli Kalsın about 10 years ago when I was a university student," expressed that he only visited the restaurant section of Kütüphane, did not go to the nightclub part, and left without even consuming alcohol. He emphasized that he had no contact with drugs at the venues.
EDIS GÖRGÜLÜ'S STATEMENT
Denizli stated that he knew Edis Görgülü, who is mentioned in the case file, and said that the artist was one of the three names performing at the Ot Festival held in 2024.
Denizli noted that the selection of artists was not made by the municipality but by the selection committee and the company organizing the event, and he stated that he had no control over the payments.
"I DID NOT EVEN HAVE A CANDIDACY"
Responding to a witness's claim in the case file that he promised a tender in 2023, Denizli stated that his candidacy for mayor had not even been finalized at that time.
Denizli said, "As of January 30, 2024, my candidacy has been determined. I did not have a candidacy at the mentioned date," and described the statements as "slander," announcing that he would file a complaint.
STRONG REACTION TO SECRET WITNESS ALLEGATIONS
Denizli firmly rejected the drug allegations made by the secret witness about himself and his mother, evaluating these accusations as "immorality."
Denizli stated, "I categorically deny that I used narcotic substances or that I was present in any place where drugs were used. To say that a 67-year-old woman used narcotic substances is also immoral." He reminded that he had previously submitted a petition to the prosecutor's office requesting the test himself. Denizli expressed his discomfort with being associated with drugs, emphasizing his athletic background.
Denizli argued that no special zoning work was done for any individual during his term, stating that the mentioned zoning permit was granted by the Ministry of Environment, Urbanization, and Climate Change in 2019.
"I DO NOT ACCEPT THIS SLANDER AGAINST ME"
In response to questions about the statements, Denizli used the following expressions:
"I categorically deny that I used narcotic substances or that I was present in any place where drugs were used. I do not accept this slander against me, and therefore, when I was invited to give a statement by the prosecutor's office, we submitted our petition stating that I personally requested to take the test through my lawyers.
I am the daughter of an athletic family, and I am also a former national athlete. I am a young female politician who has dedicated her life to serving her country for 16 years. I am even ashamed of my name being associated with drugs. The other allegations are completely nonsense.
Since I have been the Mayor of Çeşme, no new zoning work has been done for any individual by our municipality. The fines imposed on tradesmen by Çeşme Municipality are not unlawful but have been imposed within the framework of the rights defined by the law.
I categorically deny the allegations regarding our municipality. I have not organized or participated in any private parties anywhere. Moreover, these allegations do not contain any elements such as witnesses, dates, or venues, making it impossible to regard them as credible witness statements. I will fight legally to the end against the slanderers who have made these accusations against me without any clear motivation."